Thursday, December 28, 2006

Special Day!

Today is a significant anniversary! A few years ago (quite a few, as a matter of fact!) I was thirteen years old. I had my first date with the boy next door, who was tall, handsome, with lots of thick dark hair and a very sweet guy. I was so surprised when he asked me to a dance that his Civil Air Patrol group was holding for the holiday, but most of all, I was nervous! December 28, 1964 his mom drove us to the place where they were having the dance. He was wearing his dress blue uniform and had such straight posture and well, wow! He was gorgeous and I was very much impressed. When we got to the dance he was a bit embarrassed because though everyone agreed they'd wear their uniforms, he was the only one to comply. That was okay with me, he was the best looking guy there and the uniform just added to it.

I don’t remember much about the dance, other than he made me feel comfortable. Afterward, his mother drove us home, but on the way she stopped at a hotel that had a small restaurant located at I-71 and Morse Rd. in Columbus, Ohio. We had hot chocolate and sat and talked for a while before we went home and he walked me from his front door to mine.

It was the beginning of a very good friendship that remains as a foundation for the love that developed and the life and marriage we have together today. I'm glad the CAP held a Christmas dance that year, because I don't remember that they had another one after that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home