Thursday, August 16, 2007

Want Some Aftershave? How About a Library Book?

Or here, maybe some music or sermon CDs?

Those were the only items available to the criminal who broke into my car this past Tuesday. Actually, it's my husband's main ride, but I've been driving it a lot since my own ride has had some issues of his own. Anyway, back to the criminal.

He gained entrance by way of the back passenger window. I know it was a 'he' because he left his huge dirty footprints all over the leather seats and dash and door. I figure all criminals are idiots anyway, but this one was especially without the ability to reason. At some point he tried entering through the sunroof - yeah, what was he going to do? Dive through? I guess when you've got no brain cells anyway, taking a dive through the roof won't matter. At some point he must have thought that was no fun, so he used the same instrument he tried to pry open the sun roof with to shatter the window. Then as if that wasn't enough, he pried apart the strips of metal on the front and back of the door and window columns. I can't figure out why that was necessary, but there I go again, trying to figure out an idiot criminal.

Thankfully, idiot criminals don't like library books, music and sermon CDs or sandals, because he just threw all that stuff around, which went real well with the shattered glass beads all over the place. What he was after was some aftershave, that and $2 worth of change. Maybe he had a hot date? Don't know, don't care.

HB and I figure maybe the thing to do is to leave the doors unlocked so the criminal element doesn't have to work so hard to do their trade. Sure saves the insurance deductible we have to give out to repair everything. I was/am still pretty angry about it.

It could have been worse, I didn't come upon him doing it and he didn't take the library books, which the library would have charged an arm and leg to replace. More than that, he didn't mess up the interior or exterior, and better yet, he didn't steal the car. In the over 34 years I've gone in and out of the city, I guess I've been pretty blessed that this is only the second time I've been affected directly by an idiot criminal. The first time is another story for another time.

One good thing, I used to ride public transportation and got to know a lot of bus drivers well. One in particular that I hadn't seen in over two years happened to be driving the bus I had to take downtown from dropping off the first of two rental cars I've had to use. Anyway, I miss seeing those guys, and so it made my day to see Ralph and catch up with him on his family and the retired drivers I knew. He had good news and bad news, but it was good to be able to talk with him.

So, here's the thing ... I know that God's mercy is available for even idiot criminals. I have to forgive and I do, because really, God protected me and even the little bit of stuff that was in the car. Yeah, sure we're out some bucks (and some aftershave!), but I have to forgive. That's what mercy is all about, getting it and giving it out. God expects me to give it out even to idiot criminals, after all, if He does it, who am I to withhold it?

"Okay, Father, but can I make sure the idiot criminal experiences some remorse? Oh alright, I'll leave all that to you, Dad."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home