Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Diet

Well, after months of procrastinating and feeling helpless to start doing anything about my weight, I finally have started. I had read about the South Beach Diet about a year ago and it sounded interesting, but that's as far as it went. Then about three weeks ago I ordered the book from the library and started reading. It sounded pretty interesting and more than that, it sounded doable. Bread, pasta, potatoes, bagels - I never met one of those I don't love, but those are the triggers that keep me fat and gaining.

This is my ninth day of the diet and yesterday when I weighed myself I'd lost five pounds! That was exciting. Yesterday was also the roughest day I've had with the diet. I didn't feel good all day and the chocolate candy dish at work called my name all day long, but I am determined that I'm not going to undo what I've achieved and so I asked God for His grace concerning it. Today I started reading Joyce Meyers' book, "Look Great, Feel Great", or maybe it's the other way around. In the first chapter she talks about willpower.

Willpower exists in our soul along with the mind, will and emotions. It's easily broken down because we begin to reason ourselves out of something that we had originally 'committed' to doing. It's like when I said for all those months, "I'll start tomorrow or next week", and then I'd do nothing. Sure willpower can often get us far in an endeavor, but eventually, something changes our mind and willpower goes out the window. Having experienced this, I know it's true. So, I'm counting on God's help with this.

I know I am powerless to change myself without His Spirit. My efforts in the past have been thrown aside and I'm at the highest weight I've been in about six years. Only now, not only am I looking terrible with this weight, it's also affecting my ability to move well, my joints hurt and I know it's because I'm carrying around too much baggage. In just nine days, though, my joints feel better, so I know it's not just the weight, it's what I was eating.

After this week, I'll be able to add some fruit to my meals and snacks and a little bread here and there, although I honestly think I may forgo the bread a little longer, because I feel okay now without it. Oh, someone else benefits from this diet - I bought a huge bag of small carrots which I love, but since they contain so many carbs (sugar) I can't have them in Phase 1 and they're limited in Phase 2. No problem - Penny LOVES carrots and they're better for her than some of the dog treats - thought I have to wonder if carbs work the same for dogs as for humans. Oh well, she's only getting two or three a day and that's instead of her dog treats.

Well, time to go take her for a walk.

But first, I know that God's grace is sufficient to what I need. The foundation of being well is being able to serve Him and if I'm tired, sick and worn out, I'm not much use to anyone. When I begin to waver, I will count on and fall upon His grace and mercy to help in time of need. It all comes back to mercy, every time! So for those few who read this blog, make sure you look to Him for your share today and remember that others also need mercy!

1 Comments:

Blogger crazy tri mama said...

Mom that's great news! Keep up the good work lady!

Love ya,


tiff

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home