Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Studying

I was searching for sites related to paralegals and found some helpful articles having to do with study skills (www.profj.us/studyskills/) and improving test scores (www.profj.us/improve-scores/. My husband calls me an eternal student and he’s probably right. Six years ago I finished a degree in Computer Programming. Now, I’m a year away from finishing up a degree in paralegal studies. When that’s done, I’ve already thought about some things to do next. Note: please don’t tell my husband, he's not ready to hear this yet!

I guess I take 2 Timothy 2:15 literally. I looked at it a little deeper in just a few mintues this morning. Reading it in different translations gives a different perspective to it and I gained a different understanding of it.

The King James version, which I grew up with and is still embedded in my memory, making it difficult sometimes to find a scripture in another translation says it this way. “Study to show thyself approved unto God a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”

The New King James Version, which my pastor preaches from and which I like pretty well says, “Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”

My favorite study Bible, because it contains the Hebrew and Greek words and contains a lot of the Strong’s Concordance as part of the book, is in the New American Standard translation and it says it this way. “Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.”

Finally, the metal-bound Bible I carry with me is the New Living Translation and it says, “work hard so that God can approve you. Be a good worker, one who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly explains the word of truth.”

When I looked up “the word of truth”, one of the references I found is Psalm 33:4, “for the word of the Lord is right and all His work is done in truth.” I know His word is right, and this scripture goes on to say that His work is done in truth. It seems that God is interested in my studying, or diligence, and my work.

My studying should be toward becoming diligent in my work toward and for God. And the work relates strongly to knowing His word and “rightly dividing it.” When I know His word on a matter, then I can apply it immediately to any area of my life and know what to do. Well, that sounds direct and even easy, but how many know it’s not always easy? That’s where diligence and work take over. When I study deeper and consider His words over a matter, it does get easier. The things of God that were mysteries to me a year ago have become clearer and I have understanding today because I studied His word on the subject. And that applies to paralegal studies too. This quarter I’m taking a real estate course. I didn’t think it would be all that interesting, but when I got the book and started reading, I found out that there is a lot to property. And I’m learning again, I don’t even know what I don’t know!

Well, now I’ve got work to do. Remember to receive God’s mercy today and to show mercy to those around you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home